Planning a trip in the Caribbean but not sure where to begin? Well, why not pick the Bahamas?
The country has 700 islands and 2,400 rocks and cays (most uninhabited) perfect for activities like boating, diving, kayaking, and fishing. The place also has a rich history which is an adventure in itself. And the towns boast a vibrant nightlife. All these while you’re surrounded by the clearest blue water on the planet!
Of course, you’d need to secure a budget before visiting this paradise. Just how much does it cost to the Bahamas?
The Bahamas is an expensive choice for a vacation. Just how much costly? It depends on the following factors:
- Number of travelers
- Time of the year
- Itinerary (including the length of your stay)
To be able to figure out the total Bahamas vacation price, you should know the cost of airfare, accommodation, meals, and activities in the country.
How much does a Bahamas trip cost if you’re taking a plane? To cut down on expenses, there are cheap airfares available online. Here are some affordable round-trip ticket prices from Expedia:
- Tampa to Nassau: $282 to $354
- Miami to Nassau: $257 to $478
- Orlando to Nassau: $244 to $479
- Washington to Nassau: $310 to $727
- New York to Nassau: $354 to $556
- Baltimore to Nassau: $326 to $433
- Raleigh to Nassau: $336 to $509
The website also offers discounted round-trip cruise prices:
- 4-night Bahamas Cruise from Miami: $399
- 4-night Bahamas Cruise from Port Canaveral: $189
- 7-night Bahamas Cruise from New York City: $649
- 4-night Bahamas Cruise from Jacksonville: $219
- 4-night Bahamas Cruise from Charleston: $259
- 7-night Bahamas Cruise from Galveston: $689
Note that prices posted on the website regularly change depending on the season and promos.
Peak And Low Season
The Bahamas trip cost, particularly airfare and accommodation prices, is at its highest during the winter period. The peak season runs from December to mid-April. If you’re planning to go during this period, make reservations as early as 2-3 months before.
If you want to save money, visit the Bahamas during the off season which is from mid-April to mid-December. Hotel prices tend to be 20-60% lower in the said period. Note only that noonday temperatures in the country may reach uncomfortable levels during this time.
Even Nomadic Matt, a website providing money-saving tips for travelers, says that lodging in the Bahamas is expensive. For instance, a 2-star budget hotel room for two people can cost at least $95 a night. You can also find apartments costing $50 and up. As for hostels, you can expect to pay $63 per night.
Nomadic Matt also recommends that you check Air BNB for accommodations. You can find on the site a private room costing as low as $58 per night. You can also opt to rent an entire home or apartment starting at $90 and up.
Some sample prices from Air BNB include:
- The Tree House (entire home): $175
- Rustic Charm Private Suite (entire home): $58
- Villa Anna Safe Beach Retreat (entire home): $100
- Sunnyside Studio (entire home): $95
- Serenity Studio (entire home): $79
Food And Drinks
A traveler on a mid-range budget can expect to spend $38 a day for meals in the Bahamas. To give you a better idea of the prices, here is a list of costs from Numbeo.com:
- A meal in an inexpensive restaurant: $16.50
- Three-course meal for 2 people in a mid-range restaurant: $80
- A meal at McDonald’s: $7
- Domestic beer (0.5-liter draught): $3
- Imported beer (0.33-liter bottle): $5
- Cappuccino: $4.36
- Water (0.33 liter bottle): $1.60
Note that most restaurants in the country serve American and British meals. If you don’t like eating out that much, expect to spend about $60 per week for groceries.
You can get around the Bahamas by hiring a taxi. Just make sure that the driver turns on the meter as soon as you get into the cab. Doing so is a form of countermeasure against overcharging providers.
For perspective, a taxi to Paradise Island from Nassau will typically cost not more than $5 per person. The trip may take 5-10 minutes depending on traffic.
Another option is to take a mini-bus or “jitney” ride. This is a more affordable mode of transportation, costing only $1 for any single journey.
Jitneys are available around the island until 8 o’clock in the evening. The said minibuses have a capacity of 20 people.
You can also take a ferry to travel from Nassau to Paradise Island. A ride costs $3 each way. However, expect to spend more as boat operators tend to ask for tips.
The Bahamas is a place for adventure seekers. Also, it’s perfect for vacationers who want to do something instead of lazing inside their hotel rooms. Some of the average costs for different activities on the island include:
- 4-hour Kayak Tour: $70
- ½ day Snorkel Trip: $75
- 10 Dive Package: $299
- Jet Ski: $50
- Parasailing for 3 people: $240
Note that the more activities you opt to engage in, the more expensive the Bahamas vacation price will be.
Total Vacation Cost
BudgetYourTrip.com has a list of average costs for different travel styles and length of stay. Note that the following are only estimates:
- Average daily cost (per person): $55
- One week (per person): $383
- One week (for a couple): $766
- Two weeks (per person): $766
- Two weeks (for a couple): $1,531
- One month (per person): $1,641
- One month (for a couple): $3,281
- Average daily cost (per person): $124
- One week (per person): $865
- One week (for a couple): $1,730
- Two weeks (per person): $1,730
- Two weeks (for a couple): $3,461
- One month (per person): $3,708
- One month (for a couple): $7,416
- Average daily cost: $241
- One week (per person): $1,688
- One week (for a couple): $3,376
- Two weeks (per person): $3,376
- Two weeks (for a couple): $6,751
- One month (per person): $7,233
- One month (for a couple): $14,467
Ultimately, how much does it cost to go to the Bahamas will depend on your itinerary. You are in control of what you want to do during your stay on the island.
Have a great Caribbean vacation!