A lot of homeowners spend money on beautifying their beloved home, even if they have to spend a lot of money. Adding beautification to your home doesn’t just add up to its attractiveness. It also increases its value if you are planning to sell it in the future. One way of making your home more interesting is to build a deck.
A deck is an area in your house where you can relax. The deck can also make you feel that there is an extra space in your house. If you want to build one, you’ll surely get to ask, how much does it cost to build a deck?
Average Cost of Building a Deck
Most of the decks you can see are made of wood. Whether it is pressure treated wood, Cedar wood, redwood, or even just a simple hardwood. There are also some decks that are made from composite plastics but are intended to look like wood. The type of material you are using affects the total cost of building a deck.
- If you hire a professional to construct a wood deck, it will cost you around $8 up to $75 or even more for a square foot of labor and materials.
- Building your deck with the use of pressure-treated wood will cost you around $8 up to $50 or more for a square foot. Or you can also spend around $2,500 up to $16,000 for 16 foot by 20-foot deck.
- Average deck prices run around $20 up to $75 or more for every square foot of cedar wood. If you want to build a 16 foot by 20-foot cedar deck, prepare an amount of around $6,400 up to $24,000.
- For redwood, it would typically cost you around $30 up to $75 or more per square foot. For a 16 foot by 20-foot redwood deck, it will cost you around $9,600 up to $24,000.
- How much does it cost to build a deck that is made of hardwood? Typically, it would cost you around $40 up to $80 per square foot. And it will cost you around $12,000 up to $25,600 for a 16 foot by 20-foot dimension.
Wood is the most common materials used in building a deck for your house. It is because of its availability and the ease in working with it.
You can also use a composite material in building your deck. Composite material is made out of recycled plastic (about 30 percent up to 50 percent) and wood fibers. According to some deck builders, composite decks has a low-maintenance, longer lifespan (most decks last ten up to 25 years), are splinter-free, and rot resistant.
- Typically, a composite deck can cost you around $25 up to $70 per square foot. If you want a 16 foot by 20-foot deck, you will get to spend around $8,000 up to $22,400. The price depends on the brand of the composite you are going to use, the complexity of the deck to be done, and if the deck will be done by labor or a licensed contractor.
- There are many factors that affect the total cost of building a deck. One of the factors that can affect the average deck prices is the height of your desired deck. The shape of the deck also can affect the cost. Other factors are the number of levels, the complexity of the deck to be built, the length of the rail, style of the rail, steps needed, the design of the stairway, benches, and other built-in features.
- You usually need a permit whenever you make changes in your house. The permit depends on the local regulations regarding the size and height of your desired deck. If you are hiring a contractor, you should know that they are the one to coordinate with the permits and inspections needed. But typically, you will be the one to pay the fees.
- Local regulations sometimes let some local tax assessor calculate the increase of the value after your deck is built. The amount of the tax to be paid increases depending on your location and how much the value of your addition is.
- There is also deck maintenance to be done. Your deck should be cleaned yearly and will cost you around $0.25 up to $1.50 or more per square foot. If you have built a wooden deck, it may require you a sealing that typically cost around $1 up to $5 per square foot. Sometimes, staining will also be required. It will cost you around $0.57 up to $7 per square foot, and it will be stained every one up to 2 years depending on the type of wood used and if the deck is exposed to sunlight and heavy weather.
- Lighting can also cost you an extra. It can give your deck a great ambiance and a safety feature. You can also choose from a wide variety of lightings. Many people use hard-wired lighting, while others use solar lighting. There are also a lot of colors you can choose from for your lights. Deck lights typically cost around $8 up to $30. For post lighting, it will cost you more since the price typically runs around $30 up to $100.
- Another extra cost is the heater. If you live in a cold area, you surely can’t stay on your deck during night time. With this, you should get a heater. The most common one is the post heater. There are also heaters that can be mounted on the wall. There are also those that can be hung or can just be placed on the table top. The cost typically runs around $100 up to $300. You can have more information on what type to use when you visit Agsstainless.
- If you live in a place that has a warm climate, you might need to buy a misting system. This machine provides a fine spray of cold water that will act as a barrier for the heat. You will also need to consider your water bill when you install a misting system. Usually, it will cost you around $25 for misting kits. If you want a portable misting fan, prepare an amount around $100 up to $150.
- Obviously, decks are places where you could relax. With this, you need to have a chair or some seat. There are many choices of seats you can choose from. You can either buy a simple plastic patio chair or a fancy leather sofa couch. Usually, furniture prices start around $350. The price was given already includes four chairs and a low table. If you want a high-end chair or sofa that has its coffee table, you will have to spend around $4,000. You can also add a bar counter (typically cost around $500), awnings (typically cost around $700 up to $1,000), and slipcovers which typically cost around $20 up to $250. Cushions for your chair and sofa could cost around $30 up to $150.
- One way to get a well-done deck is to have a landscape. You can just simply use plants to decorate the landscape of your deck. To save you from additional cost, it is recommended that you do the landscaping on your own. You can visit DIY Network to have ideas on deck landscape.