During summer, many homeowners want to make their house cool. On the other hand, they want it to be warm during the winter. It is very costly to buy a lot of air conditioning systems and heaters just to supply enough cold or warm air in your whole house. The best solution to this situation is ductwork. It is a system of tubes in your walls, floor, and ceilings. The system will deliver air to your heater or air conditioner to replace it’s temperature. It also helps in delivering the cool or warm air to different places in the house.
Ductworks need maintenance and repairs too, but sometimes replacing it costs you less than repairing. If you’re one of the few people who wants their ductwork replaced, the first thing you need to know is how much does it cost to replace ductwork?
Average Ductwork cost
The cost of a typical ductwork system varies on many factors.
- For a ductwork replacement, replacing your old, leaking, or insufficient ductwork will cost you around $35 up to $55 for every linear foot of labor and materials. If you have a single family home, the ductwork price will go around $1,000 up to $5,000. The average air duct replacement cost depends on the length and the type of materials used in the ductwork system, whether you will use sheet metals, fiber duct, or the round flexible ductwork.
Art Plumbing and AC has a complete list of the types of duct, as well as their advantages and disadvantages. The cost also depends on the local rate of the laborer. The type of heating and cooling system you want, the time of service, and the installation process are factors for the cost of your ductwork replacement. The construction of your house also affects the cost. Usually, if your house is a two-story one, you will expect to pay more than those who that are one-story houses. The total number of vents needed to cool or warm your whole house also affects the total cost of the replacement. You should also expect to pay more if repairs are needed for your floors, ceilings, and walls after the installation.
- If your home has layouts or design that will make the installation or replacement harder and more complex, it will cost you around $5,000 up to $15,000 or even more.
- How much does it cost to replace ductwork if you have a low budget? Having a tight budget is indeed the most common problem of homeowners. However, you can also do it on your own. Just make sure you will follow and meet all the requirements needed in replacing the ductwork. You should also need to make sure that your ductwork will be properly sealed to avoid leakage. Materials for a do-it-your-own replacement can cost you around $100 up to $2,000 or even more. The cost will also depend on the type of material you are going to use.
Factors that will Affect the Total Cost of the Ductwork System
Just like any other home improvement installations, the price for ductwork maintenance is not fixed. Whether its installation or replacement, the ductwork price will still vary based on these following factors:
- The size of your house is the number one factor that affects the total cost of replacing or installing a ductwork. The bigger your house, the more ductwork is required. If you have a huge house, you will have to expect to pay a lot.
- Home Design and Layout. The design of your house also has a factor in the air duct replacement cost. If your house has a second or third floor, the ductwork system will be more complicated, making it cost more. Also, if you do not have any spaces underground or in your attic, it will cost you more since there should be an area where the ductwork will be placed and installed.
- Number of vents needed. The number of vents needed for the input and output of air will also have a great factor on the cost. It will surely cost you more if your house needs more vents and hole cuts.
- License, permits and Other Documents. Replacing ductwork system is an HVAC work. HVAC projects usually require a license, which then again means more money to spend. You will also need permits from your local government if you want to make changes in your house. For suburban projects, the fees for permits will normally cost you around $10 up to $100. The cost will increase depending on your location and the size of your planned renovation. Documents are also needed when hiring a professional. Make sure to have records on the work they will do. These records will help you in the future whenever you plan to sell your house. These will be evidence that the house you are selling is furnished and meets the required standards.
- If your ductwork is poorly designed and is not perfectly installed, it can decrease the effectiveness of your heating or cooling system for around 40 percent.
- The professional you are going to hire should let you choose what materials are going to be used. They should also tell you what is the best for your house.
Ways to save money
Many homeowners find ways of how to save money in times where they will need to spend. One way of saving money in replacing or installing a ductwork is to do it your own. The materials in do it your ductwork will only cost you around $100 up to $2,000. But you have to make sure that you will do the work properly. Perfect Home has a complete guide on how to install or repair your ductwork system properly.
When to replace the ductwork
Many homeowners ask when is the proper time to replace their ductwork system. Listed below are some of the reasons why you should consider replacing your ductwork.
- Low Air Quality. If you notice that you cannot breathe easily, then most likely, the air in your house is already low quality. This is due to the infiltration of dust and dirt in the system. Not just that it will lower the air’s quality, it will also be hazardous to one’s healthy, especially to a person who is suffering from asthma.
- Bad Equipment Performance. You will also have to replace the ductwork when you notice that your heating and cooling equipment isn’t functioning properly as it once used to. You’ll notice this when your equipment fails to keep you warm during winter or keep you cool during the summer months. Equipment are like humans because they also have their lifespan. So if you have a very old machine and ducting system, the best thing to do is to replace it
- Huge Consumption of Power. Huge consumption of power means you will have to pay a lot for the electric bills. Poorly-installed ductwork systems consume more power than it needs. If you want to save money, you should know how to spot these kinds of substandard installations. If you ever feel that there is a problem, immediately call a professional to inspect your system.