The kitchen is probably the busiest part of your house. Whenever you have guests, the portion of the house that will have full of activities is your kitchen. You will have to cook, wash the dishes, prepare the table, and much more. The work will be harder if your kitchen is not organized enough. One thing to do to lessen the mess in your kitchen and make it organized is to add kitchen cabinets on it. A kitchen cabinet is a cupboard built into a kitchen that is used to store your valuable dishes. It can also be a chest of drawers where you can put your silverwares.
If you are still building your house, it is better to have kitchen cabinets installed to avoid further renovations when your house is finished. But if you have already a home that has a kitchen with no kitchen cabinets, you should then expect to pay more, since a major renovation will be done at your house.
Just like any other house improvements, the cost will vary on factors such as the size of your kitchen and the complexity of the work that needs to be done in your house. So how much do kitchen cabinets cost?
Average Kitchen Cabinets Cost
The cabinets in your kitchen would make the first impressions to your guests. It is up to you if you want to follow the standard or basic cabinets or use the standard kitchen cabinets. Kitchen Cabinet prices vary in size and features. There will also be some extra costs like hiring a professional carpenter. Make sure that the carpenter you are going to hire works well and is very skillful.
- There are many types of kitchen cabinets you could choose from, which have different specifications and features.
- Stock Cabinets. Those are kitchen cabinets that are pre-made and are sold in home appliance stores. These types of kitchen cabinets are often cheap, but it has a limited number of sizes and designs. Usually, Stock Cabinets would cost you around $80 up to $400.
- Semi-Custom Cabinets. Semi-custom cabinets have sized the same as stock cabinets. Their special feature is that you can design them, but then again, you need to pay an extra cost. Designing them includes increasing or decreasing the depth of the cabinet and resizing the drawers inside them. The cost of kitchen cabinets like these is somewhere around the values of $150 up to $1,000.
- Custom Cabinets. These types of cabinets are the one that you could customize fully whatever you want, depending on what you are planning for your kitchen. But these kinds of Cabinets are the most expensive and would run around $500 up to $1,500. You can visit a website called House Beautiful to get some creative ideas for your kitchen cabinet.
- If you have already a kitchen cabinet in your house but needs remodeling, then Refacing your cabinets might be the thing you need. Don’t buy a new kitchen cabinet for you to save money on the cost of kitchen cabinets and its installation. The refacing process involves taking out the doors of your old cabinet, door fronts, and any other hardware that needs to be replaced. Next is to find a material with the same quality of your cabinet and is going to be designed to replace the old one. With this, you don’t have to buy yourself a new cabinet. Usually, these would cost you around $4,500 up to $9,000. It is a little expensive since you need to hire a skilled carpenter.
- Kitchen Cabinet prices might increase as time goes by, so if your cabinets have scratches and stains that can’t be removed, refinishing your cabinets is the solution. You need to hire a very skilled carpenter to do the work. It typically involves sanding and staining the doors and drawers of your beloved cabinet. This process is way cheaper than refaced cabinets and would usually cost you around $1,400 up to $3,000.
- Another thing to mind when you buy kitchen cabinets is the labor it needs to be installed. The labor should include plumbing cutouts in the back panel of your cabinets, leveling and securing the vanity on your wall, applying molding on edges of the panel that are exposed, and assembling the drawers and the hardware. It should also include the planning, the equipment to be used, preparation of the area, protection, and the cleanup. Usually, labors would cost you around $300 for a low-cost labor and $500 for a high-quality labor.
- You will also have to buy Cabinet Job supplies that are required to install kitchen cabinets. Most of these supplies are fasteners, connectors, preparation of the surface, and finishing materials. Low-cost supplies would run around $14 while the high-quality ones would cost you around $20 up to $30.
- If you need to remove old cabinets, then you might have to budget around $82 up to $500 for detaching adjacent surfaces and hauling pieces.
- Kitchen Countertops are also important since it plays a vital role in your kitchen. These could be installed together with the kitchen cabinet to save you money from the labor. Kitchen countertops have different materials you can choose and has different looks and functions.
- These types of countertops are eco-friendly and can be cleaned easily. The disadvantage of this one is that it is very vulnerable to scratches and can easily get burned. Bamboo countertops usually cost around $2,000 up to $3,000
- These are very durable and have high resistance from heat. The cost would run around $2,600 up to $5,000
- This type of countertop is resistant to stains and scratches. They are also easy to clean and has a cost of around $1,200 up to $2,000
- Paper Composite. Paper composites are durable countertops. But just like the bamboo type, they are vulnerable to scratches and stains. This type would cost you around $90 up to $130 per square feet.
- This type is the most expensive. Usually, you will have to choose between quartz, marble, soapstone, and granite. This type of countertop also requires regular maintenance because it is prone to chipping. The cost depends on what type of stone you want to use. It would normally run around $4,000 up to $7,000.
Extra costs are unavoidable. These will affect how much do kitchen cabinets costs and the prices in the overall procedure.
- If you don’t have kitchen cabinets in your house, then you might need to renovate your kitchen. The cost of the renovation would depend on the size of your kitchen. If your house has a small kitchen, only a minor renovation will be needed. You should expect to at least pay an average of $5,000. If you have a bigger house, then a mid-range renovation is what you need. Mid-range renovation typically costs around $25,000. For those houses that are really big, a major renovation is needed. Prepare a budget of around $45,000 for this one. You should also prepare an extra amount since there will be problems arising during the renovation. Most of these problems involve the plumbing, electrical, structural, and toxic materials.
- You might also need to buy some kitchen appliances that will suit your Kitchen Cabinets. These kitchen appliances will greatly help in improving the overall value of your house.