Your pet is already part of your family, especially if the pet you have is with you from the very beginning. However, just like us humans, animals also suffer. And for us, it is hard to watch as they cry in pain. Even if it is heart-wrenching, putting your pet to sleep is probably the best way to remove their suffering. Mercy killing or also known as Pet Euthanasia is a death that is planned. It is usually done with a painless injection.
The number one reason for pet owners to choose euthanasia is to end their pet’s suffering. It is also chosen if their pet has already reached the end of their comfortable life or is already too old. Other owners chose euthanasia whenever their pets are suffering from a physical problem, and the treatment would cost them a lot.
If you have a pet who is suffering from a serious disease that is untreatable, then it may be best to Euthanize them even if it breaks your heart. It would be selfish if you want them to stay and suffer more. One question you must have in your mind is “how much does it cost to euthanize a dog?”
Before you euthanize your pet, you should at least have knowledge on the process of euthanasia. There are at least three methods of pet euthanasia that are made available by veterinarians.
Pentobarbitone Sodium. This is the most common method of euthanasia. The process is injecting the drug called pentobarbitone sodium into your pet. The drug would then enters and penetrates into your pet’s bloodstream which destroys the function of your beloved pet’s heart and brain.
Captive Bolt Euthanasia. This process uses a specific gun to your pet. But this method is uncommon for cats and dogs and only common for big animals like horses or cows.
Potassium Chloride. It is another famous method of euthanizing your pet. Just like the first method, big amounts of potassium chloride are injected to your pet. The potassium chloride will then increase the blood level of your pet and will result in heart failure.
You should also prepare things that are needed, especially if you do the euthanizing process at your home.
- Prepare two large towels and a blanket, or if you want, you can choose a bed sheet. The veterinarian will use it during the process.
- You could also prepare foods that your pet likes. You can feed your beloved pet for the last time during the sedation. There are no restrictions on food during a euthanizing process.
- You can also prepare candles, and play relaxing music during the euthanizing process.
Before you can decide whether to euthanize your beloved dog or your adored cat, you should know when the right time is. The most frequent question that pet owners ask is how they will know if it is the right time. Some situations can answer the question clearly like:
- When your pet dog or cat is suffering from a severe, chronic pain that can’t be treated.
- When your pet dog or cat is dramatically injured and might not fully recover from the damage.
- If the quality of life your dog has is poor.
There are also situations where you have to decide what the right thing to do is, like:
- Your beloved pet dog or cat is suffering from a long-term chronic pain but is relieved by some regular treatment and medication.
- Your beloved pet dog or cat barely eats and is not able to play or run.
- Your pet dog or cat has no appetite and refuses to drink and is troubling with incontinence.
If you still doubt about euthanizing your pet, don’t worry, it is normal. People don’t want their pets to leave them forever especially if their pet has a special attachment to them. A website named Vet Street helps you deal with the sadness and helps you to decide what the right thing to do.
Average Cost of Euthanasia
Today in our modern times, dog euthanasia cost has increased since the veterinary cost has also increased. If you have the right reason for your beloved pet to be euthanized, you should know how much you will need for you to avail Euthanasia.
- If you want the euthanizing process to be done in a veterinary office, the cost will run around $50 up to $100.
- The cost to euthanize a cat or a dog at home will cost you around $290 up to $400. In this type of process, the veterinarian will come to your home and perform the euthanasia.
- For people who have low income, there is an affordable euthanasia process that is performed at the office. The cost would run around $50.
Just like any other processes, there are many factors that affect the pricing of a euthanasia process. One of these factors is the location. The cost to euthanize a cat or a dog in a rural area would be less expensive than in an urban city.
Make sure that the euthanasia process you are availing includes the following written below to make sure that the dog euthanasia cost would be worth it.
- The veterinarian you will hire should first direct a tranquilizer to relax your beloved pet before injecting the drug that would cause the death. This is to make sure that your dog or your cat becomes unconscious when the drug is stopping your pet’s brain functions.
- Euthanasia is a procedure that is traditionally done at the office of the veterinarian; you should be able to choose whether you want to be present or not during the procedure.
- Today, At-home euthanasia is getting famous; it is much more comforting to put your pet to sleep in the area where they are familiar with.
How much does it cost to euthanize a dog or a cat? Well, the overall cost of euthanasia depends on these extra costs listed below:
- After the euthanizing process, you will need to bury your beloved pet. It is either you bury them in your backyard, which is free, or bury them in a pet cemetery that will cost you around $500 up to $730.
- If you don’t want to bury your pet, you can also cremate them. There are two types of cremation, by itself or by a group. If you don’t want your pet to be cremated with other pets, then you should avail the individual cremation. This type of cremation will cost you around $285. If you have a tight budget, group cremation could cost you around $125.
- After the cremation, the ashes of your pet can be either scattered in a particular area or placed in an urn or an ornamental vase. Urns typically cost around $25 up to $200. A site called perfect memorials sells pet urns that are affordable.
For you to remember your pet, you can always have a keepsake with you. It will make you feel that your pet is still beside you.
- If your beloved pet has long furs, you can take some clippings. Use a ribbon to tie the fur clippings of your pet.
- You could also avail a clay paw print impression of your pet. You can browse the internet for you to know if it is available near your area.