There are many problems that you can encounter when you have a road trip. The number one problem is when your car unexpectedly stops on the road. This is also an annoying problem especially if you are in a hurry and you want to be somewhere. If this situation happens to you, the number one thing you need to do is to call a tow truck.
Most of the time, people don’t want to call a tow truck because it will only mean that they will have to spend money. But if you need to avail a car towing service, how much does it cost to tow a car?
Average Towing Cost
A car towing service involves hauling your broken car to a place. Often, tow car service drags your car to the nearest repair shop. Always remember that there are times where tow car service won’t do the job when it involves more than a 5-mile trip.
- Towing rates for moving a broken car is usually around the base rate. This type of service is also known as hook-up. It typically runs around $35 up to $100. The company will also add $2.50 up to $5 for every mile that your car will be towed. If you are lucky enough in finding a good company, they will only give you the additional cost when they towed your car more than 7 miles. If your car breaks in an area where there are no legal limits, you will have to pay a higher towing cost.
- There are also areas where there are no competing companies. If you belong to this area, the cost is typically also a bit higher.
- If you want to know the towing rates per mile, here are the towing prices:
- Most of the time, for a 5-mile up to 7-mile tow trip, it will cost you around $30 up to $120.
- For a 40-mile tow trip, companies will charge you an average of $100 up to $125.
- If you need a 100-mile tow trip, expect to pay around $250 up to $600.
- Sometimes, companies will not accept if it will need more than a 100-mile trip. But if you find one, the average cost will run around $1,000 and more.
- Now that you know how much does it cost to tow a car per mile, the next thing you should know are the factors that will affect the total cost of the service.
- The number one factor that will affect the total cost is the distance traveled by the tow truck. The longer the distance, the higher you will have to pay.
- Another factor that you will have to consider is the time you need their service. You will have to pay a higher cost during times where traffic is high.
- The condition of the vehicle also affects the price. Most of the times, broken cars are the only ones that are included in their rates. There are still other situations where you will need a towing service. An example is a stuck car. If you are in a situation where your car is stuck in mud or a dike, expect to pay around $50 up to $200 per hour.
- Your vehicle type also can affect the total cost. If you have a truck or a large vehicle, you will have to pay a higher price.
- You would be very unlucky if you need their service during bad weather. Weather condition can also affect the cost since it adds difficulty to work.
- The last factor that you need to consider is your location. Price will increase whenever you are far from the highway.
We have mentioned earlier that time is one factor that can affect the price of the towing service. To be more specific, the extra charge will be given to you whenever you need service during the night, during the weekend, or during holidays.
Tow car companies also have other services. If you only have minor car problems that don’t need going to a repair shop, availing these other services can save you money.
- If your problem is running out of gas in the middle of nowhere, some tow companies offer a gas delivery to your location to help you refuel.
- One reason that a car stops is when the battery has run out of juice. A jump start is a good solution. You can also avail this service in a tow company.
- Have you ever experienced locking your car and forgetting the key inside your car? Well, some towing companies also offer door unlocking services.
- Having a spare tire is common to car owners. But there are times when you forgot to buy a new spare, especially if you have just replaced your tire. If you encounter this situation, you can call a tow company to replace your tire for you.
Ways to Save Money
The best way to save money is to avail a roadside assistance package offered by an insurance company. You can also avail a membership from an auto club. These packages can only cost you around $15 up to $360 annually. But the coverage of their package varies on the policy of the company.
- Sometimes, they offer $50, $100, or up to $150 limits of the coverage they can give.
- Other insurance companies also offer free towing services. But sometimes, this free towing is only available to a certain type of car.
- It is very important for you to know the rules and understand the coverage of the package you have availed. The reason for this is to avoid confusion during and after the service.
- Car insurance will cover the cost if your vehicle is involved in a car accident. Without insurance, the cost of towing a car from an accident can cost a lot than the average price.
Another way to save money is to call a friend. If you have a friend whom you can ask for help, that would be great. It can save you a lot of money. You can ask them to hook-up your car to theirs and bring you to the nearest shop, bring you a spare tire, extra gas, or even bring your duplicate key. Make sure that you can also lend a help whenever your friend needs one.
- Scams can be found anywhere in the world, even in towing services. To avoid being scammed, make sure to first do a research about the company. Make sure that they have a good reputation when it comes to towing cars. In this way, you can avoid companies who do dirty businesses. If you have no time to search, you can call a friend to recommend you the best tow company in your area. You can visit Fraud Guide’s website to know more information about towing scams.
- Before you call the tow company, make sure that you know the exact problem of your vehicle and your location. In this way, you can have the transaction fast, and the company can act immediately.
- If you are stuck in the middle of the road, ask for some help to push your car to the side to avoid further accidents.