Looking for a unique vacation destination? Then Mauritius is the answer! This beautiful country, located at the coast of southeast Africa, is an island surrounded by the Indian Ocean. This volcanic island features pristine lagoons, breathtaking reefs, and white sand beaches where anyone can explore. Mauritius also boasts natural treasures like waterfalls, lakes, rain forests, mountains, and hiking trails.
With all of this that Mauritius offers, how much does a trip to Maldives cost?
For this world-class vacation, there is no standard Mauritius trip cost. There is no doubt, though, that expenses will be higher compared to usual common trips. Mauritius trip cost may range from $200 to $353 for one day per person. This price range usually includes accommodation, transportation, food and drinks, and other expenses for the activities Mauritius has to offer. Maldives vacation package price is also affordable like any other vacation trips out of the country.
To help you budget and plan your vacation in Mauritius, we will answer your question on how much does a trip to Maldives cost?
Since you have an option of choosing your airline, we will not include airfare in this article.
When you go on an out-of-the-country vacation, it is always best to book a hotel or a house to stay in. Usually, your accommodation is already covered in your Maldives vacation package price. If not, below are the average prices of the accommodation options:
- For those who are on a tight budget, there are hotels that have double rooms offered at as low as $45 to $85 a night.
- If you have a slightly higher budget, there are Mauritius hotels that offer double rooms at $90 to $169 per night.
- If you have more than enough budget for your stay, luxury hotels offer overnight stay at their double room with an initial cost of $169.
If you choose to travel by taxi in Mauritius, the chances are that you will be overcharged. Taxis will offer or maybe even force you to a whole day island trip even if you are not interested. The key is a negotiation. Taxi meters are rarely being used, and they will overcharge you if you didn’t agree on a price prior getting in the cab. For $43 to $72, you can hire a taxi for a whole day for a tour of the sights around the island. The cost may vary on how far you intend to explore the island.
Traveling by bus is a lot cheaper and also fun because you get to connect with the locals. It is recommended that you get on the express buses, as standard buses regularly stop every few meters and may take you twice as much time to get to your destination. Long distance buses operate from around 6:00 AM to 6:30 PM. Bus fares range from $0.32 to $0.86 for farther destinations. Always keep some small change in your pocket, as it will come in handy. You get your tickets from the conductor and retain them, as inspectors will often board to check passengers tickets.
If you want to view Mauritius from the sky, Air Mauritius offer helicopter tours and charter flights from Sir SeewoosagurRamgoolam International Airport and some major hotels. It will cost you $733 for a one-hour island tour, and $282 for a 15-minute jaunt.
Great if your package tour price included your food and drinks. If not, below are the average pricing of common food items you will see in Mauritius.
- A meal in an inexpensive restaurant will cost you &9.
- A three-course meal for 2 in a mid-range restaurant will cost $35.
- A regular cappuccino is $2.
- Fast food (McDonald’s) Combo Meal costs $6
- Half-liter local beers at $2 each.
- 33-liter bottled soft drink (Coke, Pepsi) is at $1
- 33-liter bottled water is also at $1
Mauritius offers a wide variety of activities, depending on your preference.
- Mauritius Water Park – For those looking for a day full of fun under the sun with the whole family, the Mauritius Leisure Village Water Park is the ideal destination. This is the only operating water park in Mauritius and is located on the Eastern coast of Mauritius. The entrance fee to this amazing water park is $16.
- Mauritius National Botanical Garden – Ideal for nature lovers, this garden will take you 90 minutes to tour. This park boasts various tropical plants. Open from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, you can visit this place for $10.
- Blue Bay Marine Park and Glass Bottom Boat Trip – This trip is very recommended that you shouldn’t leave Mauritius if you haven’t tried this activity. You can ride the glass bottom boat for 2 hours to Blue Bay – this will include snorkeling. The glass bottom boat usually leaves from Point Jerome, located at Southeast Mauritius, at 10:00 AM and takes 20 minutes to arrive at Blue Bay Marine Park. This trip will cost $22 per person.
- Sugar Museum and Factory – This place was previously a sugar mill that has been transformed into a modern museum. The tour lasts about 1 hour and a half and costs $11.60.
- A travel agency website, Orbitz, offers various travel packages to Mauritius. The cheapest you can find cost $3050, but the cost will be subject to change depending on the hotel where you choose to stay, travel date and others. You can visit their webpage if you want to learn more about their packages.
- Flight Centre: The Airfare Experts also offer numerous packages for a trip to Mauritius. The cheapest travel package to Mauritius that you can find on their website cost 11900 Mauritian Rupees (or equivalent to $336) which includes airport transfers, and seven nights accommodation at their specified hotel. This still does not include tours and sight-seeing at Mauritius. Visit the website to acquire more details and information.
Ways to Save Money in Mauritius
- Traveling in a group of three people or above can save you more money. Taxi fares, room price, and other expenses would be divided among the group. And if you noticed through the deals offered by various travel agencies, packages are in fact cheaper if bought by three or more people. So, for your trip to Mauritius, plan it with your family and friends. Aside from that, you get to enjoy each other’s company while enjoying the magnificent Mauritius.
- Choose where you stay for the next few days in Mauritius. You don’t need an extravagant and lucrative place to stay in just to have a comfortable and enjoyable experience in Mauritius. After all, you would be spending much of your time touring than at your hotel.
- Choose where you eat for the next few days. Since not all meals will be covered if you purchase a package, you have to eat outside and spend money for your food and drinks. You do not need to go to a fancy and five-star restaurant to enjoy the sumptuous food and delicacies that Mauritius offers; you just need to look for a low-priced and nice place to eat. You get the best of both worlds- delicious food and more money savings!
- Plan your travel and book your air tickets in advance. This gives you the opportunity to set the date of your travel ahead of time which will give you more time to arrange for your trip to Mauritius. Air tickets booked months away from the date of travel typically cost cheaper than air tickets booked just days away from travel date.
There is nothing wrong in getting the cheapest Mauritius trip. Book the cheapest flight to Mauritius, get the most low-cost hotel, eat the most inexpensive food at the most inexpensive restaurant and ride the most economical transportation. Although there are advantages in getting the most expensive deals since it will give you a more comfortable experience, you should always remember that the most important thing is not about how inexpensive or expensive your trip will be but it- is about the memories and experience you will make out of your life in Mauritius. Aside from that, you also save more money which you can use for your next trip.